My PhD dissertation
Defended in May 2011, “New Edge. Technology and Spirituality in the San Francisco Bay Area”: Dissertation_Zandbergen_updated
Interview on Savage Minds by Adam Fish: http://web.archive.org/web/20120806192635/http://mediacultures.org/post/14575893773/hackers-hippies-and-the-techno-spiritualities-of
Interview for The Next Women: http://www.thenextwomen.nl/2012/11/xs4all-thenextwomen-interview-dorien-zandbergen/
April 2015, Center for Urban Studies: ‘Best Practice’ story telling on Smart Cities, and why we need better genres.
For Waag Society: http://waag.org/nl/blog/we-live-information-age-what-does-actually-mean
For Leiden Anthropology Blog: http://www.leidenanthropologyblog.nl/articles/exposing-the-interface-the-critical-future-of-cyborg-anthropology
On the New Edge platform Acceler8or: http://www.acceler8or.com/2011/08/combining-extreme-distrust-and-spastic-bursts-of-blind-faith%E2%80%A6-what-new-edge-culture-has-to-say-about-today%E2%80%99s-schizophrenic-information-society/
(in Dutch): Computers In Actie
Written in 2003, this master thesis is my first expression of my deep interest in the culture of digital technology. It describes the digital activism of the two hackergroups ASCII and the Genderchangers in Amsterdam squats.
Book chapters and academic articles
2016. Forthcoming in New Media & Society: With dr. Tamar Sharon: From data fetishism to quantifying selves: Self-tracking practices and the other values of data.
May 2014. In AR[t] magazine: Virtual Illusions. What Psychedelics, the Counterculture and Virtual Technologies have in common.
Zandbergen, D. 2012. Acceleration and Gnostic Timelessness in Silicon Valley. How Gnostic Spirituality has come to Matter in the ‘Information Age’. Etnofoor 24, no. 1: 29-55.
Zandbergen, D. 2012. Fulfilling the Sacred Potential of Technology. New Edge Technophilia, Consumerism, and Spirituality in Silicon Valley. In Things: Religion and the Question of Materiality, eds. Dick Houtman, and Birgit Meyer, New York: Fordham University Press.
Zandbergen, D. 2011. New Edge. Technology and Spirituality in the San Francisco Bay Area. Leiden University. Dissertation
Zandbergen, Dorien. 2010. Silicon Valley New Age. The Co-constitution of the Digital and the Sacred. In Religions of Modernity: Relocating the Sacred to the Self and the Digital, eds. Stef Aupers, and Dick Houtman, 161-186. Leiden: Brill.
Past Presentations & workshops
- Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Urban Studies, guest-lecture How to live in the Smart City?;
- Universiteit Leiden, Futurities Conference, lecture ‘Best practices in the Smart City’;
- Quantified Self conference Amsterdam, with Tamar Sharon, organizing and convener of break-out session Have we all become data fetishists?;
- Waag Society, presentation of research relation Air Quality Egg and Smart Citizens Kit;
- Adviser for De Wereld Draait Door University series on Silicon Valley;
- With Tessel Renzenbrink and Vesna Manoljovic at 30C3 hacker conference Hamburg, organizer and convener of workshop on developing digital awareness courses for non-geeks;
- With Zane Kripe, organizer and convener breakout session at Quantified Self Conference on the future of Quantified Self techniques;
- Royal Geographical Society London, More than Human conference, presentation on participatory ethics Air Quality Egg project;
- Waag Society, NETworkshop evening, presentation on Digital Citizenship;
- Presenter at Futurities workshop Leiden University;
- Presenter at Philosophy of Technology conference Lisbon;
- Hoge School van Amsterdam (HvA) Adviser Hybrid Cities student program.
- At Rotary club “Inner Wheel”, Den Bosch, presentation on the history of our information society, and current political implications of it;
- Participation think-tank XS4ALL on future technologies;
- Ruigoord, speech during Landjuweel festival on the history and possible future of Vrijplaats Ruigoord;
- Participation with Air Quality Egg team at Citizen Cyberscience Conference London;
- Participation Air Quality Egg workshop Citizen Lab London;
- Participation with Air Quality Egg team at Internet of Things workshop Technical University Eindhoven;
- Presentation at EASA conference Copenhagen;
- Participation in projects by the Veenfabriek:
- Speech for the ‘Veenproef’ in preparation of theater piece De Drie Monniken (the Three Monks), linking the historical setting of the piece to current pressing questions on technology;
- Speech at the Veenfabriek’s Geloof/Ongeloof program, “I have a dream.” Themes: generational conflict, future thinking, counterculture, ecological consciousness, information society;
- Guest in the Veenfabriek’s radio road-show “Mag Ik Mijn Geld Terug”?
- Presentation Ecochic conference Linkoping, Sweden
- Presentation at ABV, Utrecht